Sunday, September 7, 2008

First week of September in review

School officially commenced on 1st Sep. Ironical coz that day is also Teachers' Day in Singapore.

The Japanese do not celebrate Teachers' Day - and one of the things I'm doing now is to propagate the message that World Teachers' Day falls on 5th Oct to the teachers and students here. As a matter of fact, the teachers here work as hard, if not harder, than the teachers in Singapore, and I think they too deserve a day of appreciation.

I am still trying to get used to my hectic schedule of having to rotate between 14 schools in Owase and 5 other towns, but I have to say, I really do love Japanese kids for their boundless energy and innocence, compared to what we have in Singapore. Although it's kind of tiring travelling out, I also appreciate these trips for these surrounding towns are truly beautiful, with diving/ swimming beaches, fishing spots and lush mountains around them.

Some of my most memorable experiences this week:

Most touching:
- Miki ES putting up a special concert to welcome me and peformances included stilt-walking and a unicycle show (while I am still trying to balance on a bike, these kids are already experts on their unicycles - from first graders to the sixths). Was extremely moved when the kids stood facing me, and sang their school song at the top of their voices. Although there were only 20 students in the whole school (effects of an ageing population), I could hear the pride they had for their school, loud and clear. The youngest student (6 year-old) played host, showed me around school and stuck by my side throughout the welcome ceremony.

Students having a go at my favourite childhood game, "zero point".

Most bizzare:
- Waited 1 hour in vain for a train that never showed up. The train was supposed to arrive 3 minutes after I arrived at the station, but 5 mins went by, followed by another 5 mins, then 15 mins, and 30 mins. I knew that something must had happened to the train. The problem, though, was that I was at an unmanned station (ie no station masters), and I also happened to be the only person waiting for that train. And I still do not have a keitai (cellphone), so there was nothing I could do except to wait.

Unfazed, I happily tucked into my bento (which Mr Tan Tan had lovingly prepared) while enjoying the scenery and experience of being the only person in an unmanned station by the sea. 1 hour later, a familiar car pulled into the station. It was the BOE (Board of Education)'s car. Someone had come to my rescue.

I learnt later that heavy rains in northern Mie had caused the train to be cancelled. Maybe a ketai is really necessary.

1 comment:

Celine said...

Serina!! Your pictures look fab..its such a lovely place to live in. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself there..let us know when you come back to visit!! :)